Friday, July 30, 2010

Blue Skies

Ah, the joys of technology!! I am in an airplane and we actually have Internet on the plane! I had heard of it – now I get to experience it. This is a crazy world where people get to take their neurotic attachment of being always connected to the World Wide Web to the top of the world. Quite literally. Whatever happened to the simple life? Sigh.

But – I won’t complain – I get to blog from 35000 feet above the ground – how cool is that? So...my flight was delayed by 4 hours and I’ll likely get home at about 4am. BUT here’s where the glass-full side of me that comes out: I am watching a lightning storm out of my plane window and listening to my favorite songs of Hope. It’s an amazing and a beautiful thing. I SO wish that my camera wasn’t packed away in my checked luggage!! I would LOVED to have attempt to capture the beauty of it all. Night shots and black/white photographs are my favorite things. Difficult to capture things without the vibrancy of color, but the challenge makes a good picture worth the effort.

Anyways – I’ll attempt to describe what I am seeing outside right now but you will be stuck with my feeble attempts to use words to describe a glorious picture. J

If you’ve never witnessed a lightning storm from above ground, it is a phenomenal thing! It is currently 11.30pm at night – pitch black outside, save for the little lighted dots on the ground that represents human existence. As I listen to my favorite worship songs, the clouds are lighting up – almost in sync with the music! It’s like being a disco club – with lights going on and off. They almost seem to be almost fighting – sort of challenging each other! Who has the most brilliant strike of lightning? Me! Me! They say. Bam! Bam! The entire sky is being lighted up in a dazzling array of cloud shapes and colors. Sometimes I can actually see a strike of lightning strike another within a cloud and the result is orangey/reddish colors. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

(sigh) I simply want to ask God – how the heck did you create such beauty? You’re a genius. I mean, I know how charged particles create static electricity in clouds. But that took years for the human brain to fathom and understand! You, Lord, simply spoke these things into existence. Or something like that. While my evolutionary-theory-trained mind cringes at the above sentence that I just wrote, I still cannot believe that all these things are due to chance. There is too much complexity in nature to completely rely on the notion that chance incidents led to the cascade of forty chain biochemical reactions that lead to clotting of the blood, or that the human eye with its rods and cones – one of nature’s most amazing inventions – is a freak accident...or what I am seeing outside my airplane window – a beautiful lightning storm in the clouds – is a due to colliding forces from beyond yonder.

I am simply joyful. Little things like this remind me that my source of joy and hope is my Lord. I may stumble, fail, or rebel with each new struggle I face on the ground, but my strength is always renewed when I place my joy on the Creator of blue skies. Peace to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment