Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Skiing..err...Falling Weekend


I went Falling this past weekend. This is how it went down: 

My friend asked, 'Hey Devina, you wanna go skiing or snowboarding this next weekend?'

Devina: Sure! I'll go skiing. It's been on my 'things-to-do-before-I-die-list' 

Friend (not yet sure about blogging etiquette - am I allowed to name names? Ah..well!): Cool. Here's the details. New Hampshire. Meet at my place at 7am on Sunday, and we'll pack into cars and drive up. Here's the details on the lift tickets...equipment..etc..blah..blah. 

Devina: Sure thing. I'll be there. 

So..of course Devina has to do some research online. Is it better as a first-timer to try and learn skiing or snowboarding? Any tips that would help..etc. Equiped with 'knowledge' of skiing and borrowed ski apparel from my roommate, I woke up at the crack of dawn on a cold Sunday morning and embarked on my get-skiing-off-my-bucket-list adventure. 

And they say, book learning ain't gonna help ya!  Falling is the only experience I got. I did learn a few things: 
  • I learnt the best way to fall. (apparently, there's a technique to falling. If you fall the wrong way, it'll take a heck of a time getting back up!) 
  • I learnt how to quickly snap off the boot from the ski. (If you experience said-not-best-way fall, you won't be able to get back up! You'll have to physically take off ski from the boot from fallen position).
  • I learnt how to put back on the ski on the side of a mountain and making sure that i don't slide down on one ski. (So, after you snap off the boot, you get up and try to put the ski back on. However, you're on the side of a slopey mountain and in the process of putting the ski back on - you inevitably start sliding down!) 
And on..and on. 

As you guessed it, I did very little skiing and lots of falling and getting back up. But get back up I did! In fact, if it weren't so expensive, I'd go again - to learn how to ski this time, since I've got the falling part down. ha! 

Picture taken by my friend's camera phone as I left my camera at home. Yes, we know. The light was behind us so the picture came out dark. But the point was to capture the whiteness on the mountain behind me. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Better luck next time trying to ski... Maybe once you become a pro you can post some pointers!

    JM

    ReplyDelete