Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back from Ghana!

I landed back in Atlanta in the wee hours of the morning on Monday. Can't believe I'm back already!! I've been struggling how to frame my trip to those who have asked. Words are honestly difficult - so I'll let my pictures describe some of what I saw. Overall - it was a great trip. I can honestly say that Ghana stole a small piece of my heart. Being in Africa after 10 years was good for my soul! I felt more at home there than in India back in 2009!

So, work ended on Friday at noon. I had elected to stay back over the weekend to do some exploring. Turns out there were a few others at the conference who had the same thought. On Friday - I hung out with this Kenyan guy (Mike) from Nairobi and French-American girl (Melissa). Both currently worked in Nairobi. Melissa is a diplomat's kid who has lived all over the world. Mike has worked primarily in Kenya but traveled for work all over Africa. I was in good company. We explored more of Accra on Friday. Ate. Shopped. Took pictures. Got busted by the Ghanaian Army! Fun..fun. :)

On Sat, we organized/hired a car/driver to go to the Western Region (next province over from Accra). So - it turned that a Kenyan, a Ghanaian, two Sudanese and a Ugandan - set out on a 120km road trip this past Sat to see what Ghana had to offer! And it didn't disappoint!

First stop was Kakum National Forest. Did some hiking. Walked on a 350m long, 40m high wood-and-rope walkway suspended by seven trees. You can imagine Devina's state - scared of heights and all! Then we drove over to Elmina and Cape Coast Castles (an hour drive apart). I'll let the pictures do the talking - but it was a pretty grim place. It's one thing to read about slavery - but to actually see the places/dungeons where hundreds of human beings were cramped in small spaces with very little food, light and ventilation was sobering. Incidentally - Michelle Obama's ancestors were traced back to Cape Coast Castle. The trip was great. Good conversations and learning about life/living in each of the above-mentioned countries. Listening to African music as we drove along little towns. Seeing people along the sides of the road as they conducted daily life/business. Did I mention that it was a good trip?? (insert content smile)

I'm so grateful for the opportunity to live this life. Affirmed in my heart that I'd love to move back to Africa in the near future. Currently seeking direction on my next steps. Figuring out what it means to sit still while I let my Lord open/shut doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment