Friday, February 18, 2011

In Africa!

I made it to Ghana okay! Just checked into the hotel and discovered that they have free (VERY SLOW) wireless in the room! Woo hoo! So - I'll be able to check emails for a couple days. (moving to another location (conference center) on Sunday - and the internet situation there remains to be seen).

It's sooo weird being back! It is HOT! I had forgotten what African heat was all about. I'm already sweating buckets! hehe! AND everyone is black (duh!). My Swahili keeps bubbling forth! I've already started speaking Kiswahili with people and the moment I say 1-2 words and get a blank stare - I realize I'm not in Kenya! :(

The flight was good - I got a bulk-head seat with no one next to me, so I was able to sprawl out (sort of). Got a lot of work done on the plane and slept. Uneventful. But I was so glad that my flight landed during the day in Accra - seeing the red earth on the roads, green rolling hills, and houses with red roofs built African style was sooo good for my soul! My heart was doing little flips. :)

Driving from the airport with Ghanaian music blasting off from the radio and watching graceful women balancing their wares on their heads to be sold along the road-side makes me feel like I'm home. I almost want to move back to Africa for another job! :)

Ooo..can I just declare that I had a Ghanaian (or maybe Nigerian) family behind me in line at Atlanta airport that came to drop their family off to the airport - African-style. It felt like the whole village was there. I kept thinking in my head - "here we go..start getting used to this". Hee..hee.

Anyways - forgive my rambling..but I feel like "chatting" and telling people what I am seeing, etc! I've already taken a few pictures - will upload them on to picasa when I have better internet. Thanks for listening and feel free to write back! I'll try to send out little updates as I can - you all can be my little journal-buddies on my first back trip to the fatherland. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment