Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Things I miss about America (in no particular order):

  1. A working showerhead – So, it’s back to bucket baths. I wash my hair twice a week and prefer to not get my head wet in between washes. Playing dodge-the-errant-stream of water from the showerhead that barely has any water pressure somehow is not my cup of tea.
  2. Kitchen – I miss cooking! Miss playing host to dinner parties and having friends over to try my food. Miss being able to control what I’m going eat on a daily basis and attempting to eat healthy. Miss having my own place. (I currently rent a room from a family and have food delivered to me daily from a tiffin-lady - you should see me when I get the food nightly – I’m like an expectant bright-eyed kid opening up a gift – I never know what I’m going to get!)
  3. Efficiency in systems – I am a perfectionist. I admit it. While I take my own time getting things done at times (aka procastinator), I like to do them well. And thus living in India where EVERYTHING takes thrice as long to do is a test to my patience-cells. I could write another blog post titled “It-should-NOT-take-(insert time here) to do (insert activity here)”. In the US, I could (all by myself without external help) move to a different city, find an apartment, move in, set up utilities, cable, internet, bank account, etc...etc, all within 2-3 days of having moved. Not so much in desiland.
  4. American banter/humor – people don’t get my jokes!! I miss witty banter about everyday-normal things. Well, people didn’t get my jokes in the US either. (sad face)
  5. My family and friends – Enough said.
  6. Pandora! You can’t get Pandora outside of the US!! I’ve exhausted my Itunes library…and am tired of listening to the same-old-same-old (anyone want to send me music? Preferably something new that’s currently playing on the hit radio station *wink…wink*)
  7. Food – Okay, I love the food I’ve eaten so far – but I do crave the non-Indian food. I’ve never been one to eat the same-old-same-old on a daily basis, so I miss having a kitchen to be able to cook non-oily-low-fat food. The other day, I was craving a plain old dark green salad SO bad!
  8. Being able to call people – I’ve moved enough times in the last eight years and have been able to make new friends with each move, but maintaining old friendships is important to me and I miss being able to pick up the phone and call people and yak for hours. (Don’t ask what my phone bills are!)
  9. The direct-forthrightness of American people – American culture is very forward. People say what they mean, and mean what they say. Well, most people. Not so much Indians. I’m still struggling with being careful in not stepping on anyone’s toes in the way I express myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment