Monday, September 14, 2009

First Impressions

So I’m here! Finally. The land of my mother. Of my ancestors. Where I dreamed of coming since the day I understood that I was essentially Brown.

One thing I will say – it’s been hard (even for me who usually has TONS to say) to talk about my ‘experiences/impressions’ of India. Perhaps it is because I (unwittingly) expected this larger-than-life experience – having waited so long to come here. Perhaps it is because the practical side of me basically said, ‘Ok. Not a big deal. Millions have done this before and millions live here – just get over it’. So – for the first time, I’m not sure what to say. It’s been a whirlwind emotionally since I landed, but I’ll attempt to synthesize the emotions and events of the past two weeks. Hopefully, once I start the writing, words will come and I’ll be able to process. Until then, know this one thing: India is incredible. A land of contrasts – stark poverty next to ultimate opulence.

No comments:

Post a Comment